The Milton High School Eagles' Carl Lawson was one of four Georgia high school football players nominated to the 2013 U.S. Army Player of the Year Award on Monday, Nov. 26.
The U.S. Army All-American Bowl Selection Committee has nominated 16 high school seniors for the award, considered high school football's highest honor. The six finalists for the award will be announced Wednesday, Nov. 28.
The U.S. Army Player of the Year will be crowned during the U.S. Army Awards Dinner on Jan. 4, 2013, in San Antonio. The winner will be presented with the Ken Hall Trophy, modeled after Ken "Sugar Land Express" Hall, high school football's all-time leading rusher.
Players were evaluated by coaches from around the country and the U.S. Army All-American Bowl Selection Committee. The 2013 U.S. Army Player of the Year Nominees are:
• Lawson, Carl – Defensive Lineman – Milton High School, Alpharetta, Ga.
• Adams, Montravius – Defensive Lineman – Dooly County High School, Vienna, Ga.
• Browne, Max – Quarterback – Skyline High School, Sammamish, Ga.
• Nkemidiche, Robert – Defensive Lineman – Grayson High School, Loganville, Ga.
• Bryant, Greg – Running Back – American Heritage High School, Delray Beach, Fla.
• Cravens, Su'a – Defensive Back – Vista Murrieta High School, Murrieta, Calif.
• Fuller, Kendall – Defensive Back – Our Lady of Good Counsel High School, Olney, Md.
• Green, Derrick – Running Back – Hermitage High School, Richmond, Va.
• Hargreaves, Vernon – Defensive Back – Wharton High School, Tampa, Fla.
• Henry, Derrick – Running Back – Yulee High School, Yulee, Fla.
• Mitchell, Mike – Linebacker – Prestonwood Christian School, Plano, Texas
• Ramsey, Jalen – Defensive Back – Brentwood Academy, Brentwood, Tenn.
• Smith, Jaylon – Linebacker – Bishop Luers High School, Fort Wayne, Ind.
• Treadwell, Laguon – Wide Receiver – Crete Monee High School, Crete, Illinois
• Tunsil, Laremy – Offensive Lineman – Columbia High School, Lake City, Fla.
• Tyner, Thomas – Running Back – Aloha High School, Aloha, Ore.
"U.S. Army All-American Bowl players reflect the characteristics found in Army Strong Soldiers and they possess a mental, emotional and physical strength like no other," said John Myers, director of Strategic Communications, Marketing and Outreach, U.S. Army Marketing and Research Group. "These 16 finalists have distinguished themselves even further through their on-field leadership. We are proud to have them wear our Army Strong colors and to recognize them as U.S. Army Player of the Year Award nominees."
Former U.S. Army Player of the Year winners include: 2001-Kevin Jones; 2002-Lorenzo Booker; 2003-Chris Leak; 2004-Adrian Peterson; 2005-Ryan Perrilloux; 2006-Mitch Mustain; 2007-Jimmy Clausen; 2008-Terrelle Pryor; 2009-Bryce Brown; 2010-Dillon Baxter; 2011-Demetrius Hart and 2012-Dorial Green-Beckham.
The U.S. Army All-American Bowl is owned and produced by All American Games, a New Jersey-based sports marketing and event management company. The U.S. Army is the title sponsor of the U.S. Army All-American Bowl, and American Family Insurance is the lead national sponsor and presenting sponsor of the telecast on NBC.