There's my kid gazing out upon one of the Great Lakes - such a metaphor for the rest of his wide open life yet to be experienced. Wish I had the perfect advice for him. Well, I may not know much, but I've learned a few things. Here's some of the advice I give him (ad nauseum, he says).
9 Suggestions for a Happy Life
9. Eat slowly. Eat good food. Rest one day a week.
8. Stand in the rain when it rains on parades. Why let the rain spoil the parade?
7. Run. Run hard. Run fast.
6. BE alone in the woods. Be ALONE in the woods. Be alone IN the woods. Be alone in the WOODS.
5. Sometimes you have to go out on a limb. That’s where the fruit is! (Will Rogers said that, not me).
4. Be impetuous, sudden, un-planned and unrehearsed as much as you possibly can.
3. Be considerate, polite, thoughtful and kind, but at the end of the day, do not care what other people think of you. You’re the one who has to live with yourself.
2. Work where you want to work. I personally passed on a higher paying job to work as a horticulturist because it’s what I want to do. It’s what I love doing.
1. Every single night before you fall asleep, remember how much you love those who are close to you. This is all that matters.