Many local businesses are saluting veterans, military service men and women, and their families this Veterans Day by offering local discounts, specials and promotions. Here's a guide to specials in the area.
Two important notes:
- Most companies require some form of military ID. These include: a Military ID Card (active/reserve/retired), Current Leave and Earnings Statement (LES), Drivers License with Veterans Designation, a photograph in uniform, you in uniform (if your service permits), Veterans Organization Card (e.g., American Legion and VFW), DD214, discharge paperwork, or other form of identification. Other restaurants and companies may go by the honor system.
- Always call ahead to verify locations, times, and participation. Many of the listed companies are franchises and may have different policies.
- Applebee’s — Free meal, Sunday, Nov. 11, 2012. Last year, Applebee’s served more than 1 million free meals to military veterans and active servicemembers. Applebee’s is again offering a free meal to military veterans and active-duty service members on Veterans Day, Sunday, Nov. 11. There will be seven entrées to choose from, beverage and gratuity not included. Military ID or proof of service required.
- California Pizza Kitchen — Free meal, Sunday, Nov. 11, and Monday, Nov. 12. CPK is honoring veterans and military personnel a free pizza and a non-alcoholic beverage on Nov. 11 and 12. Dine-in only. Come in uniform or bring military ID or other proof of service.
- Chili’s — Free meal, Sunday, Nov. 11, 2012. Chili’s is offering all military veterans past and present their choice of one of seven meals. This offer is available from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday, Nov. 11, at participating Chili’s. Dine-in from limited menu only; beverages and gratuity not included. Veterans and active duty military simply show proof of military service.
- Denny’s — Free pancakes, Monday, Nov. 12, 2012. Free all-you-can-eat pancakes from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 12, for all active, retirees, and veterans with a valid military ID or proof of military service. Offer available in every Denny’s nationwide.
- Einstein Bagels — Free bagel, Sunday, Nov. 11, 2012. Veterans will be treated to a free classic or signature bagel on Nov. 11.
- Golden Corral — Free meal, Monday, Nov. 12, 2012. Free meal for any veteran who has served in the U.S. military or is a current active duty service member on Nov. 12, 4 to 9 p.m. All Golden Corral locations will be participating.
- Hooters — Free wings, Sunday, Nov. 11, 2012. Ten free boneless wings with the purchase of a drink for all veterans and active duty military on Nov. 11. Military ID or proof of service required.
- Little Caesars — Free Crazy Bread, Sunday, Nov. 11, 2012. Receive free Crazy Bread with valid ID Nov. 11.
- Longhorn Steakhouse — Free appetizer and drink, Sunday, Nov. 11, and Monday, Nov. 12, 2012. Free Texas Tonion and a non-alcoholic drink for Veterans and military personnel on Nov. 11 and 12.
- On The Border – Free entree certificate, Sunday, Nov 11, 2012. On The Border will donate 15 percent of purchases will to Carry The Load, and veterans and active-duty will receive a free entrée certificate on Nov. 11, valid up to $10 and good through Nov. 30.
- Outback Steakhouse — Free Bloomin’ Onions and Cokes until Sunday, Nov. 11. Outback Steakhouse is honoring America’s military veterans by offering active duty military and veterans a free Bloomin’ Onion and a Coca-Cola product during the week leading up to Veterans Day. This offer is available to military personnel with ID.
- Red Lobster — Free appetizer, Sunday, Nov. 11, 2012. Free appetizer to all veterans and active-duty personnel.
- Sweet Tomatoes — Free meal, Sunday, Nov. 11, 2012. Past and present military will receive a free meal this Sunday and Monday with the purchase of another regular priced meal. Just show proof of military service or be in uniform.
- Texas Roadhouse — Free lunch, Monday, Nov. 12, 2012. Every Texas Roadhouse location across the country will participate in the free lunch event to honor the men and women of our armed forces. Choose from one of 10 free meals, plus sides and a drink. Offer good for All veterans – including all active, retired or former U.S. military. ID required.
- T.G.I. Friday’s — Free lunch, Monday, Nov. 12, 2012. Valid for all U.S. military personnel and veterans. Must wear uniform (if permitted by your service) or present military ID or other proof of service. Only valid at participating locations for anyone with an old or current military ID.
- The Olive Garden — Free entrée, Sunday, Nov. 11, 2012. Offer good for veterans and active duty military, on Nov. 11 during regular business hours. Chose from a special menu; all entrées inlcude freshly baked garlic sticks and choice of soup or salad. Proof of service required.
- Home Depot: The Home Depot is offering all active duty personnel, reservists, retired military, veterans and their families a 10 percent discount off their purchases in honor of Veteran’ Day. The offer is valid on purchases of up to $2,000 for a maximum of $200 and is available at The Home Depot stores, The Home Depot Design Center locations, Yardbirds and EXPO Design Center(R) locations. The 10% military discount is available everyday for active duty and retirees, but not all veterans. Home Depot makes this offer available to all veterans on most military holidays.
- Lowe’s: Lowe’s Companies, Inc. will offer all active, reserve, honorably discharged, retired military personnel and their immediate family members a 10 percent discount on in-store U.S. purchases made during the Veterans Day holiday. The discount is available Nov. 7 – Nov. 11. The discount is available on in-stock and special order purchases up to $5,000. To qualify, individuals must present a valid military ID or other proof of service. Excluded from the discount are sales via Lowes.com, previous sales, and purchases of services or gift cards. Like Home Depot, Lowes offers this discount daily to active duty military members, but not to veterans. However, they extend the offer to military veterans on military holidays. You can also find exclusive discounts at Lowe’s.com.
- Atlanta Humane Society: The Atlanta Humane Society will offer 50 percent off adoptions to veterans, police officers and firefighters on Sunday, Nov. 11. Must bring identification.
- Old Navy: Every Monday, including Nov.12, active and veteran military personnel with ID cards are granted 10 percent off their purchases.
- Big Lots: Veterans, active duty, retired and reserve military personnel and their immediate family members with valid ID get a 10 percent discount on purchases.
- Build-A-Bear Workshop: To celebrate Veterans Day, the store is offering 20 percent off a purchase when guests present a valid military ID.
- Amazon.com free MP3 album download “Veterans Day Honor": Available at Amazon on Veterans Day. Download the album (album will be full price again starting Nov. 12).
- Sports Authority: All Veterans and Military personnel stop by your local Sports Authority store to receive 15 percent off your entire purchase on Nov. 11, 2012. Please show proper identification or proof of service at check-out to receive this special offer.
- All national parks, forests and monuments offer free addmission to all on Veterans Day. Go and enjoy the scenery!
Do you know of other deals for military personnel and veterans? Tell us in the comments!