About 20 community groups and restaurant set up tailgating displays and grills to create samples while residents took the advantage to watch the University of Georgia vs. South Carolina football game on display on the big screen television.
The grill tasting, sponsored by Harry's Farmers Market, included a wide variety of specialties such as orange Habanero smoked chicken drums from Smokejack BBQ, Guinness Beer brats from The Olde Blind Dog, pulled pork from the Alpharetta United Methodist Church, all-American hotdogs from the Alpharetta Presbyterian Church and bacon wrapped pork tenderloin grilled by Alpharetta Mayor David Belle Isle.
A beer tasting contest, presented by Blind Murphy Craft Beer Market, featured a dozen craft beers from all over the south.
Students from The Lionheart School manned the water and soda sales booths, and also displayed artwork for sale at its LionheARTisans tent.
The event raised money for The Lionheart School, an Alpharetta nonprofit which provides developmental education to children with special needs. Programs are tailored to fit each student's profile and needs.
The tastings concluded with an awards presentation to the following winners, voted on by those participating in the tastings:
- Grill master of Alpharetta: Steve Gillard, Rotary Club of Alpharetta, who grilled buffalo chicken and cranberry beef meatballs.
- 2nd place: Choate Construction, who grilled Boston Butt.
- 3rd place: Ben Sithens, who grilled chicken wings.
- Best Beer: Motor Boat, by SweetWater Brewing Company.
- Best Tailgate: Milton’s Cuisine and Cocktails.
- Best of the Rest: Voted on by Lionheart students, given to paws4people and all the dogs at the event.