Summer is here, we need a cool dessert and we need it fast. What to do? Make an ice cream pie. You're finished making it almost before you begin. It's delicious and will keep in your freezer.
Here's how: makes 2 pies
- 2 chocolate cookie crumb pie crusts, homemade or store bought (Obviously, if you're going for the quickest of quick you'll choose the store bought.)
- 2 ½ gallon cartons of ice cream, 2 different flavors (Pick flavor combos that make you smile. A favorite of mine is coffee and chocolate.)
- Toppings: Again, go with choices that make you smile. I like hot fudge, whipped cream and/or toasted chopped almonds or pecans.
- Allow ice cream to soften on counter for 30-40 minutes (Please note that I mean soften on the counter while remaining inside of the carton. You can imagine the potential problems otherwise.)
- Spread half of one container of ice cream into the bottom of each crust.
- Spread the other half of the remaining container on top of the ice cream that you've just put into the crust, making your second layer.
- Cover pies tightly and freeze for a couple of hours to harden.
- Top individual servings with your favorite toppings or better yet, let your guests add their own.
- If you have difficulty smoothing the top of your ice cream layers, dip your knife or spatula into some water and that should do the trick.
It will take you less than 10 minutes to make a couple of these. Stick them in your freezer and when company comes, or you're looking for a late night snack, bingo – problem solved.