5 Things You Need to Know Today
Miss America puts on a cooking class, extension agent saves water today.
1. Forecast looks hot and windy: The high will near 91 degrees today, but with the sky becoming mostly cloudy and west winds between 10 and 15 mph, reaching as high as 20 mph in gusts, maybe it won't feel so hot. During the night it will be partly cloudy with a low around 64 degrees, wind around 5 mph before becoming calm, according to a National Weather Service forecast.
2. Silent auction helps gardeners: The Alpharetta Garden Club's Silent Auction meeting is free and open to all (until you win that bid) from 9:30 a.m.-noon today. The club fundraiser starts with initial bids, followed by a short meeting and then the bidding is on. Mansell House & Gardens.
3. Miss America gets cooking in Alpharetta: Miss America will help kick off the Produce for Kids Get Healthy, Give Hope campaign at 1:30 p.m. at the Publix Super Market at 4305 State Bridge Road. Teresa Scanlan will share her passion for healthy eating during a cooking class featuring Miracle Children from area Children’s Miracle Network.
4. Farewell to Webb Bridge Middle School's first principal: In 1996 when Webb Bridge Middle School first opened its door to students, Principal Elizabeth Fogartie already had been on the job a while helping during the construction process to turn a building into a school. Today from 4-6 p.m. the school's PTA says farewell to her in a reception at the school as she retires.
5. Alpharetta to host Water-Wise Home Gardening Workshop: Learn how to conserve water in your landscape at a workshop held by Louise Estabrook, UGA Cooperative Extension Agent of Fulton County. She will discuss ways to reduce water run-off, soil erosion and pollutants by taking care of yards the environmentally friendly way. There is no cost to attend; however, please register by calling 678-297-6200. Alpharetta City Hall, 7-8 p.m.